Quex Park Logo

Archaeology

The Museum has a fantastic archaeology collection, covering over 2000 years of local Thanet history. Although the archaeology collection at the Museum contains material from a variety of sites in Thanet, the majority of artefacts are from the foreshore at Minnis Bay, which contained over one hundred wells and rubbish pits dating from the Bronze Age through to the Medieval period. The first of these sites to be discovered was excavated by a 14 year old schoolboy, Jimmy Beck in 1938. He was assisted by Antoinette Powell-Cotton (1913-1997), who would go on to have a lifelong passion for the archaeology of the area and who would excavated the majority of the other pits and wells along the foreshore.

The museum is currently undertaking a major project to recatalogue Antionette Powell-Cotton’s Minnis Bay finds, some of which will be going on display in Gallery 4 from 2015. 

Tweets


Become a member for exclusive benefits

Information inFrench FlagGerman FlagSpanish Flag

© 2015 Quex Park

Digital Marketing from Moo Moo Digital